Thursday, June 05, 2008

A bit of Ohio Flora

Today's lesson: Ohio Trees.

Through AtlasQuest, I had heard about the Tulip Tree. It sounded interesting. So I have been looking for them since I arrived. They are not always easy to find in a stand of trees because the leaves are so similar to those of the maple. While walking through our patch of woods last fall, I found a leaf from a Tulip Tree, but I was unable to identify the tree to which the leaf belonged.
This spring, my woodland garden was inundated with these branches and stray tulips that fell from the tree. Again, I was unable to find the tree to which they belonged. The foliage in this tree is much higher than the surrounding maple foliage. So, when I look up that's all I can see. Finally, after looking for a few days, I was able to find the trunk to this tree.
Here are more pictures of the species. I was surprised to see on the range map on this page that the tree does exist in NY and MA. However, when you click on those states, you can see that it is not in the counties I frequented.

1 comment:

Leesa Donner said...

Thanks for your comments to my blog. I saw this comment on the tree. What here in MA is called Tulip tree is actually a magnolia...this one you showed is new to me. What a pretty flower...

I miss you!!! Yes, this building is nice in comparison...