Friday, May 02, 2008

What's in a name

The struggle to name our little Nova started before she came home. From the drive home, I was discussing with the boys good names for the little black wiggling mass we had just met and paid for.

The name Gadunka came up. I've loved this name since Lastborn first started talking about the Bionicle character. What a great name for a dog. Gadunka. And given how mouthy she is lately, it's the perfect fit.

The cats submitted their choice; Nemesis. They were thinking definition number 3.

We mentioned to DH that the dog had a white star on her chest and I knew immediately what DH would come up with. Star. That's just so done which is exactly what DH would want. We had to come up with something just a bit more original than that, so I suggested Nova. The boys and DH loved it. (The cats are still going for Nemesis.)

But then my sister came up with the perfect name. Stella. From the Latin Stella meaning star. Also the Boston pronunciation of Stellar. And I figured that DH would love the Seinfeld reference.

He considered it, but later came back to Nova and will not budge. So the kids have begun calling her Stella Nova. And Nova is where it stands.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you said she was mouthy. so i was conferring with mom (your oldest sister) and we both agreed that "Julia" would be the perfect name!

just my 2 cents!

-cousin B