Friday, January 13, 2006

Opinions needed

I'm having an issue with my son's teacher. I need your opinions.

My son has a learning disability. He does not understand verbal directions. Additionally, he has some issues with executive function. It is very difficult for him to remain organized. His desk is messy, he doesn't write reminders, he forgets things that need to be done. This is not a recognized diagnosis to the school even though we had a full review by professionals who wrote up a very good diagnosis and explanation.

Here's the problem. She has them write their assignments in a homework log. However, there are two spots on the board where she writes assignments. One area is for the night's assignments, spelling, grammar, math, etc and another spot is where she warns them of upcoming tests, long term assignments (LTAs), etc.

Each day about 1/2 hour before class lets out she tells them to get out their assignment books and write down the night's assignments. She assumes the kids will figure out to look at the long term section of the board and write those down too, but no directions are given to that effect at the time they are given to update the homework log.

So, he never writes down the long-term assignments. As a result, he often loses points on LTAs or does very badly on tests f0r which he did not study.

I met with her in November to explain the problem and to stress how important it was for Firstborn to learn to use his planner. I see the planner as a linchpin to his success in the future. I asked her in writing to please check his assignment book every day and insist that he take the time to correct it before he left for home.

For two days, she wrote the assignment for him. Then she would occasionally check to see that the entries were written neatly (also an issue).

One assignment in his planner for November was to complete a "states project." The date came and he insisted it was not due. I wrote her a note and she told me that it was indeed not due then. No notes to that affect in the book? For weeks, I looked for the "states project" to show up again in the book. Nada.

A week ago, he came home with a note saying that the states project was "missing." He should turn it in on Jan 12th. OK. So we work on the project and he brings it in on the 12th. To be told that he had missed a step and should turn it in the next day when he completed. He turned it in today. It was sent back to us. On the back in red pen was written 100 - 20 for being 20 days late = 80.

I've looked through that planner to find the "States Project" and it does not exist except for that date months ago that turned out to be a fake.

Now I know that missing 20 points for being so late is not a big deal. I know that a B is nothing to complain about. But a B because this teacher is too lazy to teach him a skill his future will depend on is just infuriating to me. It's like refusing to teach a blind child Braille.

And by the way, he does not know that I'm planning on raking her over the coals for this. He never will.

So the questions are:

Do you think I'm being overprotective?
Do you see some other way for him to learn to rely on his planner and develop the skills he needs to organize his life?
Do you see this as a typical developmental stage for a 3rd grade boy and he'll work through it?
How nasty do you think I should be with her?

3 comments:

Bookhorde said...

That's a tough one. In my 3rd grader's class, long-term assignments (typically book reports) get communicated to the parent by a note home, and we write it on the family calendar.
But kudos to you for seeing that this is an improtant skill for him to learn. As a disorganized, messy adult -- I wish I had learned this early.

dsimom said...

I agree. Learning about planners has been a god-send for me. I'm quite sure that firstborn will be helped greatly by learning to rely on his.

We did get a note home about the latest long term assignment. And after my last rant to her about the homework log, she did send home written instructions for how vocabulary sentences were to be written. He gets to write at least 10 sentences about at least 15 vocabulary words and each sentence must be at least 8 words long.

I don't think I would bother to fight if I thought she was hopeless, but I also want firstborn to know how important I think his education is but I'm balancing that with not giving him an excuse to let me do all the work. Right now, if I have to chase the teacher around for clarification, he thinks that's my job. If I don't chase her around, he thinks there's nothing better he can do and he gives up. Some solution needs to be found.

Gudmans Dautter said...

No.

Perhaps a planner at home for extra curricular activities and chores?

I don't know if it's typical. My firstborn loves her planner and checks it all the time. It might be that My firstborn is atypical. Do you think your firstborn would be able to talk with the teacher about it--that way you are the caring and sharing parent but not the "helicopter" parent to the teacher?

Once is forgivable--Perhaps you could write her a nice note that Firstborn nor you were informed of that due date, and could she please notify you when a large project is due perhaps just a few days before it's actually due so you can follow-up with him and make sure it gets done on time.

She seems pretty inconsistent and disorganized herself...perhaps she recognizes in firstborn some of her own traits that she doesn't like and thus is hard on him.